More Interview Questions and Answers
What would be your analyzis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Alternative and related questions:
What do you see as the most important trends in our industry/sector?
The meaning behind the question:
They want to know if you've done your homework! A serious and committed candidate will be able to give a thorough and intelligent answer to this question. A poorly prepared candidate will most likely be completely floored by it! It's a good opportunity for the interviewer to filter out weaker candidates at a single stroke.
This question shouldn't pose you any problems because you are indeed a serious and committed candidate, right?! In fact, it's a question you should relish because it really gives you a great chance to do some major showing off.
Your background research into this job should have given you a decent amount of insight into the environment in which it operates and how that industry or sector is currently evolving. While it depends on the precise nature of the role for which you are applying, the interviewer generally won't be expecting you to be an expert. You just need to show them that you have done your homework and you do have a reasonable understanding of the issues at hand.
Remember that, in the core version of this question, they have specifically asked for your 'analyzis' so they'll be expecting some personal commentary from you.
In terms of the marketplace, there's a lot more poaching and raiding than there used to be and, while I and many others see that as somewhat unethical, it's clearly something we're going to have to contend with, like it or not. On an operational basis, there's obviously a significant amount more outsourcing going on – and this is clearly set to increase in the future as pressures increase to cut costs and to focus on core strengths. It's not necessarily a bad thing just so long as quality standards can be maintained. And of course the biggest trend has to be the increase in e-recruitment. This is having a dramatic impact on the sector, causing companies to have to evolve more and more rapidly in order to keep up with their competitors.
The Interview Question & Answer Book
More interview questions and answers
Talking about your current employment
- Can you tell me what you enjoy about your current job?
- What will you remember most about your last job?
- Is this the first time you have made an effort to move away from your current employers?
- How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
- How would you describe your current employer?
Talking about this vacancy
- Wouldn’t you be better suited to working in a larger/smaller organization?
- How do you feel this vacancy differs from your current role?
- What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
- Can you describe your ideal working environment to me?
- How do you feel we compare to our competitors?
- What would you say is our Unique Selling Point?
- What would be your analysis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Understanding your career path, plans and ambitions
- What aspects of your career path would you like to have been different?
- What are your greatest regrets about the path your career has taken?
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced in your career to date?
- What do you think are your main career options for the next five years?
- What exactly does the word ‘success’ mean to you?
Addressing problems in your career history
- Why did you only stay with this organization for such a short time?
- Why did you stay with this organization for such a long time?
Coping with stress and pressure
- Are you able to multitask?
- Can you juggle a number of different projects simultaneously?
- How do you handle rejection/disappointment/failure?
- How do you deal with interpersonal conflict?
- What does tact and diplomacy mean to you?
- What makes for a successful team?
Management and leadership
- Would you describe yourself as a good manager?
- Do you really think you’re management material?
- What is your attitude to delegation?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to lead from the front?
- Have you ever had to fire or lay off a member of your staff?
- How would you describe your ideal team member?
Personal and professional development
- In what ways do you intend to improve upon your performance?
- How has your current job prepared you for greater challenges/responsibility?
Interests and activities
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- What newspaper do you take?
- Are you interested in current affairs?
The amateur psychiatrist
- If you won the lottery what would you do?
- Can you tell me about the best teacher you ever had?
- If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
- What are you most afraid of?
Money, money, money
- Why aren’t you earning more?
- How much do you think you are really worth?
- How much does money matter to you?
- Would you still be interested in this job if you current employer offered a pay rise?
- Have you ever had to take a pay cut to keep your job?
- Have you ever asked for but been refused a pay rise?
Author: James Innes