More Interview Questions and Answers
Do you really think you’re management material?
Alternative and related questions:
Are you sure you have management potential?
The meaning behind the question:
The interviewer is likely to ask this question is the job you're applying for would represent your first step up into a management role – or if you've only just recently moved into management in your current or last role. They're not by an means suggesting that you're not management material; they're just asking for you to prove to them that you are.
In formulating your answer you need to draw on some of the ideas we covered in the previous question. Your answer to the question obviously starts with a 'Yes' but then needs to go on to give the interviewer some evidence to back up your assertions and to show confidence in your decision to move into management.
Look back to the last question to see what makes for a good manager and mention a couple of those qualities, supporting your answer with a statement as to why you now feel ready for a management role.
Yes, I do. In my current role, I'm the most senior and experienced member of the team and, in all but my job title, I'm already undertaking many elements of a management role. The team is highly dependent on me and most of my time is taken up in supporting and managing the teams members so that they are better able to undertake their own roles. I have extremely good working relationships with my team members and seek to extract the best from them while being aware of their individual limitations. I'm also responsible for training and coaching new team members. I consequently feel that now is definitely the right time for me to take a step up to a management-level position – hence my applying for this role within your organization.
The Interview Question & Answer Book
More interview questions and answers
Talking about your current employment
- Can you tell me what you enjoy about your current job?
- What will you remember most about your last job?
- Is this the first time you have made an effort to move away from your current employers?
- How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
- How would you describe your current employer?
Talking about this vacancy
- Wouldn’t you be better suited to working in a larger/smaller organization?
- How do you feel this vacancy differs from your current role?
- What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
- Can you describe your ideal working environment to me?
- How do you feel we compare to our competitors?
- What would you say is our Unique Selling Point?
- What would be your analysis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Understanding your career path, plans and ambitions
- What aspects of your career path would you like to have been different?
- What are your greatest regrets about the path your career has taken?
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced in your career to date?
- What do you think are your main career options for the next five years?
- What exactly does the word ‘success’ mean to you?
Addressing problems in your career history
- Why did you only stay with this organization for such a short time?
- Why did you stay with this organization for such a long time?
Coping with stress and pressure
- Are you able to multitask?
- Can you juggle a number of different projects simultaneously?
- How do you handle rejection/disappointment/failure?
- How do you deal with interpersonal conflict?
- What does tact and diplomacy mean to you?
- What makes for a successful team?
Management and leadership
- Would you describe yourself as a good manager?
- Do you really think you’re management material?
- What is your attitude to delegation?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to lead from the front?
- Have you ever had to fire or lay off a member of your staff?
- How would you describe your ideal team member?
Personal and professional development
- In what ways do you intend to improve upon your performance?
- How has your current job prepared you for greater challenges/responsibility?
Interests and activities
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- What newspaper do you take?
- Are you interested in current affairs?
The amateur psychiatrist
- If you won the lottery what would you do?
- Can you tell me about the best teacher you ever had?
- If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
- What are you most afraid of?
Money, money, money
- Why aren’t you earning more?
- How much do you think you are really worth?
- How much does money matter to you?
- Would you still be interested in this job if you current employer offered a pay rise?
- Have you ever had to take a pay cut to keep your job?
- Have you ever asked for but been refused a pay rise?
Author: James Innes