More Interview Questions and Answers
What is your attitude to delegation?
Alternative and related questions:
Do you delegate?
Do you know how to delegate?
Do you have difficulties with delegation?
The meaning behind the question:
Delegation is an essential management skill, definitely one of the very most important. The interviewer wants to know if understand the importance of delegation and whether or not it's something you're capable of doing effectively.
If you have people to whom you can reliably delegate a task – and within whose job function it is to carry out such a task – then you should delegate it. So much time is lost by handling tasks which would be best delegated to someone else. It's a manager's job to delegate and to supervise that delegation; it's not possible – or desirable – to do everything yourself single-handedly.
The perfectionists among us often have considerable difficulty with delegation. Perfectionists tend to fear that a task, once delegated, simply won't be carried out to their own high standards. This may be true – but does it actually matter? While perfection is always highly desirable, it's often not very practical.
Show the interviewer you appreciate that delegation is a necessity and that you know precisely how to go about delegating tasks.
I believe that delegation is an essential management skill. It's a manager's job to delegate and to supervise that delegation; it's not possible – or desirable – to do everything yourself single-handedly. Of course, it's often a judgment call. You can find yourself spending more time explaining how to carry out a task than it would have taken you to complete it yourself. You have to weigh up how long it will take to explain to someone else how to undertake the task by comparison to how long it would take to just do it yourself. Small one-off tasks are typically best done yourself but lengthier tasks – or tasks which are likely to need to be repeated in the future – are often best delegated.
The Interview Question & Answer Book
More interview questions and answers
Talking about your current employment
- Can you tell me what you enjoy about your current job?
- What will you remember most about your last job?
- Is this the first time you have made an effort to move away from your current employers?
- How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
- How would you describe your current employer?
Talking about this vacancy
- Wouldn’t you be better suited to working in a larger/smaller organization?
- How do you feel this vacancy differs from your current role?
- What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
- Can you describe your ideal working environment to me?
- How do you feel we compare to our competitors?
- What would you say is our Unique Selling Point?
- What would be your analysis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Understanding your career path, plans and ambitions
- What aspects of your career path would you like to have been different?
- What are your greatest regrets about the path your career has taken?
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced in your career to date?
- What do you think are your main career options for the next five years?
- What exactly does the word ‘success’ mean to you?
Addressing problems in your career history
- Why did you only stay with this organization for such a short time?
- Why did you stay with this organization for such a long time?
Coping with stress and pressure
- Are you able to multitask?
- Can you juggle a number of different projects simultaneously?
- How do you handle rejection/disappointment/failure?
- How do you deal with interpersonal conflict?
- What does tact and diplomacy mean to you?
- What makes for a successful team?
Management and leadership
- Would you describe yourself as a good manager?
- Do you really think you’re management material?
- What is your attitude to delegation?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to lead from the front?
- Have you ever had to fire or lay off a member of your staff?
- How would you describe your ideal team member?
Personal and professional development
- In what ways do you intend to improve upon your performance?
- How has your current job prepared you for greater challenges/responsibility?
Interests and activities
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- What newspaper do you take?
- Are you interested in current affairs?
The amateur psychiatrist
- If you won the lottery what would you do?
- Can you tell me about the best teacher you ever had?
- If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
- What are you most afraid of?
Money, money, money
- Why aren’t you earning more?
- How much do you think you are really worth?
- How much does money matter to you?
- Would you still be interested in this job if you current employer offered a pay rise?
- Have you ever had to take a pay cut to keep your job?
- Have you ever asked for but been refused a pay rise?
Author: James Innes