More Interview Questions and Answers
How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
Alternative and related questions:
Is leaving your current job really the best decision?
Are you sure you want to leave your current job?
The meaning behind the question:
Another question probing your motivations in wishing to leave your current job. The interviewer will be aiming to unearth any doubts you might have about moving on, doubts which might later transform into possible regrets. Your answer to this question will help to tell them how serious you are about changing jobs. Are you really committed to moving or are you just wasting their time?
As per the previous question, this is another one where you will need to bear in mind your answer to the top 10 question, "Why do you wish to leave your current position?"
It's perfectly acceptable to say that you will, in some ways, be sad to move on; you're only human. However, you need to twist this question around so as to seize an opportunity to reiterate to the interviewer why you wish to move on and why you feel this is the right decision for you. Focus on talking about your wanting a greater challenge and greater opportunities, wanting to diversify, advance and develop – and, if appropriate, taking a step up the career ladder.
I'll naturally be sad to leave behind many colleagues with whom I get on extremely well. That's an inevitable aspect of moving to a new and different job. But I'm mainly feeling very positive about my decision to want to move on. In my current role, I've learned all that I can reasonably learn within the organization and I'm more than ready for a new and greater challenge. I'm very keen to achieve further professional development and this move will enable me to attain my goals. It's very much the right decision so I'm looking forwards to the future rather than looking back to the past.
The Interview Question & Answer Book
More interview questions and answers
Talking about your current employment
- Can you tell me what you enjoy about your current job?
- What will you remember most about your last job?
- Is this the first time you have made an effort to move away from your current employers?
- How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
- How would you describe your current employer?
Talking about this vacancy
- Wouldn’t you be better suited to working in a larger/smaller organization?
- How do you feel this vacancy differs from your current role?
- What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
- Can you describe your ideal working environment to me?
- How do you feel we compare to our competitors?
- What would you say is our Unique Selling Point?
- What would be your analysis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Understanding your career path, plans and ambitions
- What aspects of your career path would you like to have been different?
- What are your greatest regrets about the path your career has taken?
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced in your career to date?
- What do you think are your main career options for the next five years?
- What exactly does the word ‘success’ mean to you?
Addressing problems in your career history
- Why did you only stay with this organization for such a short time?
- Why did you stay with this organization for such a long time?
Coping with stress and pressure
- Are you able to multitask?
- Can you juggle a number of different projects simultaneously?
- How do you handle rejection/disappointment/failure?
- How do you deal with interpersonal conflict?
- What does tact and diplomacy mean to you?
- What makes for a successful team?
Management and leadership
- Would you describe yourself as a good manager?
- Do you really think you’re management material?
- What is your attitude to delegation?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to lead from the front?
- Have you ever had to fire or lay off a member of your staff?
- How would you describe your ideal team member?
Personal and professional development
- In what ways do you intend to improve upon your performance?
- How has your current job prepared you for greater challenges/responsibility?
Interests and activities
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- What newspaper do you take?
- Are you interested in current affairs?
The amateur psychiatrist
- If you won the lottery what would you do?
- Can you tell me about the best teacher you ever had?
- If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
- What are you most afraid of?
Money, money, money
- Why aren’t you earning more?
- How much do you think you are really worth?
- How much does money matter to you?
- Would you still be interested in this job if you current employer offered a pay rise?
- Have you ever had to take a pay cut to keep your job?
- Have you ever asked for but been refused a pay rise?
Author: James Innes